Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Conference Night Ideas


On conference night I go over test scores, percentages, progress charts and all the rest, but what parents really want to walk away with is knowing that their child is valued and that the teacher has noticed good things about him/her.  They also want down-to-earth suggestions for things to continue to work on at home.

My students take a short survey to give me a snapshot of how they're feeling about school.  I ask them to be very honest and assure them they will not hurt my feelings.  I also invite them to add other concerns, worries, or comments on the back.  First graders dictate their answers to me or to a volunteer.  Parents like to see this too.  It's a good ice breaker at the beginning of the conference and it can also be used to stretch the conference if you've summed things up and still have a few minutes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment